The long-awaited iOS 17 Beta finally arrived on June 5, 2023, during the WWDC keynote. Apple introduced a range of exciting features of it, including a fresh design style, smarter assistant functions, brand-new applications, and enhanced multitasking capabilities. It also introduces features such as real-time translation and augmented reality experiences, making it even more powerful and versatile.
Fortunately, before iOS 17 is officially released, we have the opportunity to download and use the iOS 17 Beta profile, giving us a chance to experience the exciting features of iOS 17 in advance. In the following sections, we will provide detailed information about the new features of iOS 17 Beta and its release date. And, of course, we will cover the most crucial aspect: how to download iOS 17 Beta Profile for free.
You May Also Like
iOS 17 Beta Features and Public Version Release Date
Every iOS system update marks a significant milestone in driving technology forward. So, first of all, let's take a look at what new features iOS 17 Beta brings compared to iOS 16 Beta! Additionally, we will explore when iOS 17 is expected to be officially released.
Now, let's explore the exciting new functionalities that iOS 17 Beta profile has in store for us.
iOS 17 Beta New Features
- Contact Posters: iOS 17 Beta offers enhanced personalization options with the introduction of Contact Posters. You can customize how these posters appear, and they will display differently when receiving calls, giving your call screen a fresh new look.
- Easier Siri Activation: In the new iOS 17 Beta system, saying "Siri" is enough to wake it up and recognize subsequent commands. The "Hey" part is no longer necessary.
- NameDrop for AirDrop: Apple has updated AirDrop with a feature called "NameDrop." By simply bringing two iPhones together or placing an iPhone and an Apple Watch in contact, you can use NameDrop to send your email address, phone number, and "poster" to the other person's iPhone.
- FaceTime: With the latest update, FaceTime introduces the capability to send audio and video messages. This means that when you call someone who is unavailable, you can now leave a message that they can enjoy at their convenience.
- iMessage Upgrades: iMessage now includes voice-to-text transcription, location sharing, and secure check-ins. It also introduces sticker functionality, allowing you to turn images into animated stickers for use within iMessage conversations and supported third-party apps.
- Interactive Widgets: With the iOS 17 Beta update, you can directly interact with widgets on your home screen. This allows you to complete tasks, play/pause music, control smart home devices, and more, all without opening specific apps.
- Journal: Journal is a brand-new app introduced in iOS 17 Beta, allowing you to add detailed information to entries. It also creates personalized moment suggestions based on your photos, music, workouts, etc., for you to record.
- Smarter Keyboard: Apple has integrated AI into its keyboard, improving autocorrection accuracy. The keyboard also learns from your typing behavior to provide quick word suggestions and predictions through on-device machine learning.
- Use offline maps: You can save a map region on your iPhone for offline access. This allows you to view turn-by-turn directions for driving, walking, cycling, or using public transport, as well as information like hours and ratings for places, even when you're not connected to the internet.
- StandBy Displays: This new mode can transform your iPhone into a smart display when in landscape orientation, providing a quick and convenient way to access information through user-friendly pages and voice-activated controls.
When does iOS 17 Come Out
Since iOS 17 offers so many exciting new features, you might be wondering when you can download and experience it. Based on official information from Apple and previous release patterns, you can refer to the following for an estimated timeline:
|iOS 17 Profile
|5 June 2023
|iOS 17 Developer Beta
|iOS 17 Public Beta
Note: the eligible devices that will receive the iOS 17 update
iPhone 14 series, iPhone 13 series, iPhone 12 series, iPhone 11 series, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)
3 Ways to Get iOS 17 Beta Profile and Install it
As mentioned earlier, the iOS 17 Beta profile was released on June 5th. But what exactly is a beta profile?
iOS beta profiles come in two types: developer beta and public beta. They allow users to test and provide feedback on upcoming iOS releases before they are officially launched. The purpose of beta versions is to gather user input, identify and fix issues, and improve overall performance and user experience.
Also, Apple has not only released the iOS 17 beta profile but also introduced iPadOS 17, tvOS 17, watchOS 10, macOS Sonoma, and more. If you want to learn more about other OS beta profiles, you can check out the Apple Beta Software Program.
And now, let's take a look at how to download the iOS 17 Developer beta profile and install it.
Please note that beta software may have bugs and stability issues, so it is highly recommended that you perform a data backup before trying them out. This will help ensure that your data is safe and can be restored if any unexpected issues occur during the beta testing period.
Install iOS 17 Beta via Apple Developer
The first method to download iOS 17 beta profile for free is through the Apple Developer Program.
In general, a subscription to Apple Developer costs $99 per year. However, this year, there is a rare opportunity for those who want to try the iOS 17 Developer Beta without subscribing to Apple Developer. This means you can download the beta version for free and explore its features. Here is how:
Step 1. Visit Apple Developer.
Step 2. Click the two horizontal bars icon in the upper left corner, and then “Account”. To proceed, input your Apple ID and password using the arrow buttons and then enter the two-factor authentication code that has been sent to your devices.
Step 3 (Optional). If you haven't joined the Apple Developer Program or Apple Beta Software Program before, you can follow the instructions provided to enroll step by step.
Step 4. Once again, click the menu icon in the top-left corner, then select "Account". Scroll down the page, accept the legal terms of the Apple Developer Agreement by checking the box, and finally tap "I Agree".
Step 5. If you have completed registering a developer account(Step 3), restart your iPhone now.
Ensure that your iPhone is running iOS 16.4 or a later version (navigating to cheek: Settings > General > Software Update). If your iPhone is not running the required version, download and install the latest update for your device, and patiently wait for it to restart.
Step 6. Navigate to Settings > General > Software Update, and then click "Beta Updates" to proceed. (If you don't see the option, try disabling "Download iOS Updates" under Automatic Updates, then click the "Back" button. This should make the Beta Updates option visible).
Step 7. Choose iOS 17 Developer Beta from the list, and then click the "Back" button.
Step 8. Allow the Software Update screen to check Apple's servers. Once the iOS 17 Developer Beta is displayed, click on "Download and Install." Follow the provided instructions and patiently wait for the installation process to complete.
Install iOS 17 Beta Using iOS 16 Beta Profile
If you find the registration process for the Apple Developer Program too complex, you can try downloading iOS 17 Beta using the iOS 16 Beta Profile. Here are the detailed steps:
Step 1. If you have an old profile, uninstall it first.
Tips: How to uninstall an old profile
- Follow these steps: Settings > General > iPhone Storage
- Scroll down and find the existing iOS version, and click "Delete Update".
However, if your system has already been upgraded to iOS 16 or above, there is currently no method available to uninstall it.
Step 2. Visit BetaProfiles. Scroll down the homepage, click on "Developer" and download the iOS 16.6 Beta Profile.
Step 3. Install the new profile on your device.
Step 4. Restart your phone and wait for around 1-2 minutes.
Step 5. Check for updates, and you will see iOS 17 Beta available.
- Step 5 determines the availability of the iOS 17 beta profile.
- If you power off your phone, it will automatically revert to the Public Beta version.
- If the iOS 17 beta profile gets removed after restarting your iPhone, you can:
① Disable Automatic Updates in your iPhone settings;
② Download the iOS 16.6 beta profile again and restart your iPhone;
③ Check for updates on the Settings page.
④ Wait for about 2 minutes and check for updates again.
Install iOS 17 Beta with IPSW
If you don't prefer the above two methods, you can also try a third option: updating your system to iOS 17 beta by downloading the .ipsw file. Besides, please note that this method requires you to use a computer.
.ipsw is the file format for iOS firmware. It contains the operating system and necessary files for iOS devices. IPSW files are used to update or restore device software using iTunes or Finder on a computer. They are specific to each device model and iOS version and provided by Apple for official software updates.
Step 1. Visit the IPSW Beta Downloads website on your computer.
Step 2. Scroll down to click the corresponding icon to choose your device's type, and then choose "iOS 17.x".
Step 3. Scroll down to choose your device model, and then click the Download URL to proceed.
Step 4. Connect your device to your computer with a cable, and then open Finder(for Mac) or iTunes(for Windows) on your computer.
Step 5. Choose your device from the sidebar in Finder/iTunes when it appears.
Step 6. In the Summary panel, hold the Alt key(for Windows) or Option key(for Mac) and click the "Check for Update" button.
Step 7. Select the iOS 17 beta IPSW file that you just downloaded and click "Open" to initiate the installation. Once the beta is installed, your device will restart and require an internet connection to complete the activation process.
The installation time for the iOS 17 beta on your device typically takes around 5-10 minutes once the installation process begins. However, in certain cases, the entire download and installation process can take approximately an hour or longer.
Bonus Tip: How to Install iOS 17 Public Beta
Based on the release patterns of previous iOS system updates, the iOS 17 Public Beta is expected to be available in mid-July. And, what are the differences between iOS 17 Public Beta and iOS 17 Developer Beta?
iOS 17 Public Beta is freely available to the public, while iOS 17 Developer Beta requires membership in the Apple Developer Program to download and use. Apart from that, in terms of software and features, these two versions are nearly identical.
And now, let's see how to install iOS 17 Public Beta!
Step 1. Make sure that you have joined the Apple Beta Software Program, and then sign into it with your Apple account.
Step 2. Navigate to Settings > General > Software Update.
Step 3. Click Beta Updates and choose iOS 17 Public Beta to start installing.
To access the beta software, make sure your device is signed in with the same Apple ID used to enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program.
Quickly choose when to download the iOS 17 beta version and be the first to experience the exciting new features!
FAQs about iOS 17 Beta Profile Download
Should You Get iOS 17 Beta?
The decision to get iOS 17 Beta depends on your willingness to accept the potential risks and benefits. If you're comfortable with encountering bugs and providing feedback, and you have a backup of your data, you may find it exciting to try out the new features. However, if stability and app compatibility are crucial to you, it might be better to wait for the official release.
How to Remove iOS 17 Beta?
If you have upgraded to iOS 17 Beta but unfortunately encountered some bugs that are impacting your daily iPhone usage, you can try using a professional iOS system restore tool - Passvers iOS System Recovery to downgrade your system.